Newsletter Subscription:
Enter Your Email Address

 

Visit Darien, Georgia!

Seal of the City of Darien, Georgia


Click here for the official City of Darien, GA, website, complete with information about Darien city government, services, resources, and relocation information.


Darien, Georgia: Historic Churches

There are may public buildings in Darien, Georgia, and among these you'll find churches with distinctive period architecture and historic beginnings.

St. Andrews Episcopal ChurchSt. Andrews Episcopal Church

The historical marker reads:
"Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church in Darien received its charter in 1843, under the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliott, first Bishop of the Diocese of Georgia. The church edifice, a large wooden building with a belfry, erected on a lot a short distance North of this site, was completed in 1844. The Rev. Richard Brown was the first Rector.

This building was burned in 1863, when Darien was put to the torch by Federal troops stationed on St. Simon's Island, and for several years after services were held in a little church on The Ridge.

In 1872, James K. Clarke, Mr. Langdon and Donald Munroe headed a movement to rebuild Saint Andrew's in Darien. Other members of the church assisted with money and with work. Plans were secured from England, and the edifice as it now stands, a copy of a little church in Britain was built.

The church was opened in January of 1879, with the Rev. Samuel Pinkerton as Rector."

 

Saint Cyprian’s Episcopal Church in Darien

Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church

The historical marker reads:
“Saint Cyprian’s Episcopal Church in Darien was built “for the Colored People of McIntosh County,” through the efforts of the Rev. James Wentworth Leigh, D. D., F. S. A., Dean of Hereford, England. It was named for the martyred African Bishop.

Contributions toward the building of the church edifice were received from England, Philadelphia and from local citizens. Members of the congregation, led by the Senior Warden, Lewis Jackson, gave devotedly of their time and labor.

Saint Cyprian’s church edifice was consecrated Sunday, April 30, 1876, by the Rt. Rev. John W. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia, and placed under the guardianship of Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Darien, of which the Rev. Robert Clute was then rector."

 

Emmanuel House Of Prayer

Emmanuel House of Prayer

Darien First Presbyterian Church Darien First Presbyterian Church

 

The historical marker reads:
“Darien was the Cradle of Presbyterianism in Georgia, as the first Presbyterian church in the Colony was established by Scottish Highlanders who settled this town in January, 1736. The Scots brought with them their minister, the Rev. John McLeod , of the Isle of Skye. Immediately upon their arrival at what is now Lower Bluff, one mile East of this site, they built a Chapel for Divine Worship, and there the Rev. John McLeod preached during his ministry in Darien.

Later, the Meeting House was built about eight miles North of Darien on the Savannah road, to serve the people of St. Andrew’s Parish, at that time almost entirely Presbyterian.

In 1808 the First Presbyterian Church of Darien received its charter, and a building was erected near the center of the town. This was later burned, and for a time services were held in another building in the vicinity.

A place of worship, built on this site and dedicated in January of 1876, was later destroyed by fire. The present edifice was constructed in 1900."

 

First African Baptist Church
First African Baptist Church

 

The First African Baptist Church (the oldest African-American church in the county) was destroyed when most Darien buildings were torched during the Civil War. It was rebuilt and later some meetings of the Civil Rights were held here. Located at Madison and Market streets, this church was erected in 1868 as a replica of the 1834 church that once stood on this site.

 

Darien United Methodist Church
Darien United Methodist Church


The historical marker reads:
"John Wesley, founder of Methodism, spent January 2 & 3, 1737, among the Scots in Darien where he first prayed extempore.

In 1836 after many efforts, circuit riders aided by layman F. R. Shackelford organized a Society. On November 29, 1841, the cornerstone was laid for Darien Methodist Church on Vernon Square. This church, set afire twice by Federal troops in 1863, did not burn and became the rallying site for the rebuilding of Darien. Destroyed in 1881 by a hurricane, it was replaced in 1883 by the present sanctuary. The Women's Society, begun in 1878, raised funds for rebuilding."




 



Home | Mayor & Council | Administration | Meetings | Plans | City Maps | Outside Services | Local Businesses | About Darien | News | Visitor Guide | Contact Us | Site Map
City Hall, 106 Washington Street, Darien, GA 31305
© Copyright 2008 City of Darien, Georgia.  Privacy Policy and Photo Acknowlegement